The Perfect Circle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Perfect Circle

Post by Nekofjung on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:57 pm

The Perfect Circle

Howdy everyone and welcome to your next fix, I mean the next edition, of my articles! So for all you neko article junkies out there today I will be discussing a Monarch deck for the new September meta. Here's an outline of what's to be discussed:

I. Why Monarchs?
II. Which Monarchs?
III. What Monarch build?
IV. How Monarchs work?

Now let's get this party started!

I. Why Monarchs?

There's a few reasons why running Monarchs can be useful in the new meta:

1. The fastest OTK decks of the meta were all hit by the list, especially since there is no more Dark Strike Fighter. With less viable OTK strategies lurking around, this allows for more control-oriented decks to take center stage.

2. Both Raiza and Caius are finally together at 3, which allows for many more different good Monarch builds and can also let you side into different builds to mix it up with your opponent.

3. Destiny Draw is unlimited now, which means Monarchs can now use 2x Allure and the full 3x D Draw engines to put the deck speed and consistency on a more competitive level than it was previously.

II. Which Monarchs?

Ok, just quickly I'm going to list the order of importance of the Monarchs, and then I'll go into a more thorough explanation of why I order them in the way I do.

Raiza = Caius >> Thestalos = Zaborg > Mobius >> Granmarg >> Kuraz

= means same
> means greater than
>> means much greater than

Now, for the reasoning. Kuraz comes in last for failing to meet the most basic Monarch standard of turning the -1 of a tribute summon into at least an even card advantage with field presence. Summoning Kuraz means you are taking a -1 hit. Even if he destroys some of your opponent's cards, not only does the opponent get to draw an equal number of cards, but you can't even have Kuraz take advantage of the cleared field because he cannot attack the turn he was summoned! His only even halfway reasonable use is for destroying cards that you don't want on your field to give yourself some draws, but that is still a -1 and it gives you diminished field presence. Therefore, Kuraz hits rock bottom on the Monarch list.

Granmarg hits the next to bottom of the list for being the least versatile of any Monarch. Both Raiza and Caius have effects that do everything his does and more.

Mobius is next on the list because he is limited to s/t cards, most of which nowadays are chainable to his effect, so the opponent can easily make up the difference. The 1 redeeming value of Mobius is that if you do somehow manage to hit 2 non-chainable cards, he will give you a +1 advantage, but the chances of that happening are fairly rare, and it is typically more important nowadays to concentrate on clearing the monsters on the field, especially when facing GB (Gladiator Beast), BW (Blackwing), and LS (Lightsworn) decks.

Zaborg and Thestalos are about even in my opinion, with Thesty maybe just slightly better. The main problem I have with Zaborg is that, like for Granmarg, his effect is already done better by both Caius and Raiza. Thestalos can be useful in certain builds that deal very strongly with hand control.

Now, the 2 stars of the shows are Caius and Raiza. They can use their effects on any card on the field. Raiza is the heart of any spin deck, while Caius is also Dark fodder for DAD (Dark Armed Dragon) and Allure of Darkness (and Chaos Sorcerer in some builds). In many Monarch builds, these 2 Monarchs are the only ones you'll be needing and they're the ones I'll be using in the example deck.

III. What Monarch build?

The Monarch build I will be focusing on will be a Perfect Circle build. Perfect Circle uses Raiza, PWWB (Phoenix Wing Wind Blast), Trap Dustshoot, and Mind Crush in order to have complete control over your opponent's hand and field. It also allows you to constantly know most of the cards your opponent is holding, and in the game of Yugioh knowing what your opponent has is a huge part of winning the duel. So, first I will show you the build, and then I'll explain how it works. Savvy? Let's get to it!

~The Perfect Circle~

Monsters(18):
3x Raiza the Storm Monarch
1x Caius the Shadow Monarch
1x Cyber Dragon
1x Elemental Hero Stratos
2x Destiny Hero - Malicious
1x Destiny Hero - Fear Monger
1x Destiny Hero - Dasher
1x Dark Armed Dragon
1x Dark Grepher
1x Plaguespreader Zombie
1x Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
1x Sangan
2x Gravekeeper's Spy
1x Gravekeeper's Guard

Spells(10):
1x Brain Control
3x Destiny Draw
1x Heavy Storm
1x Mystical Space Typhoon
1x Reinforcement of the Army
2x Allure of Darkness
1x Cold Wave

Traps(12):
2x Phoenix Wing Wind Blast
2x Mind Crush
1x Trap Dustshoot
1x Torrential Tribute
2x Bottomless Trap Hole
1x Mirror Force
1x Call of the Haunted
2x Threatening Roar

Extra(15):
1x Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
2x Stardust Dragon
1x Red Dragon Archfiend
2x Colossal Fighter
1x Black Rose Dragon
1x Arcanite Magician
1x Blackwing Armor Master
1x Ally of Justice - Catastor
1x X-Saber Urbellum
1x Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1x Goyo Guardian
1x Magical Android
1x Armory Arm

Side(15):
1x Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
1x Threatening Roar
2x Mirror of Oaths
2x Royal Oppression
2x Light-Imprisoning Mirror
2x Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn
1x Pulling the Rug
2x Waboku
2x Beastking Barbaros

IV. How Monarchs work?

Perfect Circle uses the concept, as I mentioned earlier, of sending cards from the field to the top of the deck so that you know what your opponent is going to be drawing and can be prepared to face it. So, let's first take a look at the monster lineup.

As you can see, I'm only running 4 Monarchs. In most Monarch build you will want to run between 4 and 6 Monarchs. Less than 4 and you won't draw into them often enough, but more than 6 and you'll end up drawing too many and will have more dead hands. While I could also go 2 Raiza and 2 Caius, I decided for this build that I have plenty of Dark fodder for DAD and Allure, so the extra Caius is needed. You could also go 3 Raiza and 2 Caius or 3 Raiza and 3 Caius depending on how you prefer to play your Monarchs.

The reason I'm able to get away with running only 4 Monarchs in this build is because I am using 2 big draw engines with Allure and Destiny Draw. These cards make sure that I am always able to quickly mil through my deck and find the cards I need. Since I'm not using Skill Drain and CCV (Crush Card Virus) is banned, I've decided against the popular choice of using Destiny Hero - Defender. Instead, his copies have been replaced by Fear Monger and Dasher. Dasher is especially important here, because there is always the chance that you will top deck into a Monarch when you don't want to, and Dasher makes that dead draw into a free special summon of a monarch. Sure, you don't get the Monarch's effect, but it's better than having a useless card in your hand. Your next question is going to be why am I running only 4 D Heroes with 3 D Draws? My answer is that, quite simply, I'm not looking for a long duel. I'm looking for a duel that finishes in half a dozen turns, as most duels do nowadays. Therefore, the draw engines only need to help me out for a short period of time, and anything extra that I don't need can be discarded with PWWB or sent back to the deck for Plaguespreader.

For those who don't know, Dark Grepher is in here because of the simple combo of him discarding both Malicious and Plaguespreader to the grave in 1 swift move. You can then special summon both Plaguespreader and Malicious in order to Synchro for any 8 star (or 6 star) Synchro monster. This also loads the grave for DAD early on. You can also experiment with more than 1 copy of Dark Grepher, but 1 is enough for me.

The Spell lineup looks fairly standard, although you might be wondering about the addition of the newly limited Cold Wave. The answer is fairly simple. You play Cold Wave, then you summon Raiza and target an opponent's s/t card. Not only can your opponent not stop Raiza from being summoned and attacking (unless he chains Roar/Waboku to Cold Wave), but also on his/her next turn, your opponent is going to be drawing into that s/t card you sent to the top of the deck while Cold Wave is still in effect (so it will simply stay dead in his/her hand).

That traps are fairly standard are work well with Raiza. PWWB simulates Raiza's effect while allowing you to ditch any useless cards in your hand (like Plaguespreader, Dasher, and Malicious). Mind Crush is a big cannon here. With PWWB, Raiza, and Trap Dustshoot telling you what the opponent is holding, Mind Crush can be flipped at almost any time since you should always have info on your opponent's hand if you're using this deck correctly. Mind Crush is in there to completely wreck your opponent's strategy, and in the best scenarios you can make the opponent discard multiple copies of cards like Kalut and Honest!

The Extra deck is mostly standard. The Side deck is teched against DSD (Dark Skill Drain), GB, LS, BW, and PC. Barbaros and SIM (Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror) can be sided against DSD. For GB, you can add in a 3rd Roar to keep them from swapping out, and you can also use Mirror of Oaths to punish them for swapping out. Royal Oppression also massacres GB decks, especially when you're not needing to special summon quite as much as some decks when using PC. Oppression and Light-Imprisoning Mirror can be sided against LS, and you can also side out Roars for Wabokus when facing LS and BW to give you new ways to combat Honest and Kalut. Additionally, against BW's you can also side in the Siroccos since his effect looks at all BW monsters on the field, not just your side of the field.

Well, this is the end of yet another article for me. Feel free to leave comments, and don't forget to talk around in the sticky of this section to tell me what types of articles you want to see next! Until next month when you'll get your next fix of me you neko addicts!!

http://www.duelacademy.net/t3393-an-in-depth-deck-builder-s-guide-v20

Amy Cool wrote:your rhetorical opinions do not matter

Nekofjung

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 72981
Reputation Points : 35
Pro Decklists : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: The Perfect Circle

Post by Dexter Morgan on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:31 pm

the deck'n article look preety decent, and well organized, good job on this.

Dexter Morgan

Slifer Red Duelist
Slifer Red Duelist

Duel Points : 12520
Reputation Points : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ay Bee Dee on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:14 am

Its great..no doubt about it...i think ill make one too..
I post it in the deck class right? =D

EDIT:would it hurt if u use Diamond dude instead of fear monger?

Ay Bee Dee

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 2200
Reputation Points : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekofjung on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:24 am

Using Diamond Dude is only worthwhile if you have at least somewhere around 10 Spell cards that work with his effect, preferrably more. That's called the DDT engine. However, since most decks nowadays aren't running 15+ Spells like they used to, it is not so much advised to use him unless you're teching him in a deck with more spells. Fear Monger is nice because he can bring back Dasher, then Dasher gets to the grave again and you can use his effect again. However, do note that probably 75% of the time the D Heroes you draw are only being used for Allure and D Draw fodder. So, while Fear Monger and Dasher are in there because they're the most useful outside of that imo, they still are not the main focus of the deck. D Heroes are used because they are a draw engine and because Malicious is such a badass.

Nekofjung

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post by kyosuke kiryu on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:42 am

nice article...damn i miss the old circle decks with frog and foolish Sad
anyways good article.Your monarch deck is different from mine in a lot of ways.but yes I do use d-draw

kyosuke kiryu

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 92,195
Reputation Points : 12
Medallions : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekofjung on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:55 am

One of the reasons why Monarchs are good right now, as I mentioned at 1 point in the article, is because with all of them unlimited there are many different builds available which can leave your opponent guessing what build you're using, and it also allows you sometimes to side into different builds which is always nice too.

Nekofjung

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ay Bee Dee on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:22 am

Umm Neko i was just wondering why it would hurt to add one grannmarg and one dark calling so incase of emergency you can gaia....

Ay Bee Dee

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kira Amadeus on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am

nice article but why 3 d-draw and not 2 since you have like 4 destiny monsters and if you use a destiny monster with allure you'll end up having bad draws if you run out of destiny monsters and draw a d-draw

Owner of 211 decks Smile
With great powers,come big responsabilities

(this is not am error i won 2 times in a row Sad )
Leader of
Achievements
~3rd in The Hellspawn Tournament
~Top 16 countries in KC world Cup
~3rd in Chronos Survival Challenge Cup
`Top 8 in DAYCS

Spoiler:

Kira Amadeus

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 16156
Reputation Points : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekofjung on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:29 pm

@Ay Bee Dee: If you actually read the article, you can note that Granmarg is imo the 2nd worst Monarch of all! The only Monarch worse than Granmarg is Kuraz. Dark Gaia is completely unnecessary in this deck. He has nothing at all to do with the strategy, and Granmarg is such a weakling he would only make the deck worse by adding him.

@Kira: I actually already gave an explanation in the article about the 3 D Draw vs 4 D Heroes thing. Yes, in your own respective builds you can 4-6 D Heroes, but considering that this deck uses them more often just as a draw engine and less as a substantial part of the strategy (although on occasion they can be useful, especially Malicious), I don't feel that running only 4 is very dangerous. It really doesn't lead to dead draws when the deck is fast enough to finish a duel inside of 6 turns. I have tested this deck quite thoroughly and have not found many situations where I have dead draws that cannot be gotten rid of via PWWB or Plaguespreader.

Nekofjung

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilover on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Nice article, thanks.
and Kira the answere of ur question is already wrriten in the article,
Spoiler:
Your next question is
going to be why am I running only 4 D Heroes with 3 D Draws? My answer
is that, quite simply, I'm not looking for a long duel. I'm looking for
a duel that finishes in half a dozen turns

Pilover

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 5700

Back to top Go down

Post by EJ on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Nice Article Neko...Pretty Organized
However my thinking is slightly difference...like we have already enough 4+ star so i'd choose defender instead of dasher... anyway i really like the article and yea good thing about this that u can always side into dark synchro or DAD Variants

--vv-- My Collection of Quotes --vv--
Spoiler:

DanceJonDance wrote:It won't be hard to get past EJ we just have to get him to stop sacking JD so early and finish him off before he has the chance to get it out

Amy Cool wrote:[00] [5.59.189.187 - [LE's Mistress] Amy Cool]
EJ, you are pro

Amy Cool wrote:[19:33:58] [5.131.229.225 - Amy, The Professional]
i am horny each day if you want to know...

EJ

Evil Webmaster

Duel Points : 2750
Reputation Points : 28

http://www.duelacademy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ay Bee Dee on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Unn Nekofjung i know but it can be good back up
If you have it in the grave with a cauis and you draw dark calling it can be a match winning point...

Ay Bee Dee

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekofjung on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:41 pm

@EJ: The reason for my choice of using Defender of Dasher was explained in the article. First, I don't have Skill Drain which means Defender can cause problems if I don't get him off the field quickly. Second, with no CCV there's less reasons to run him. Third, Dasher allows the dead draw of a Monarch at the wrong time to turn into an okay situation. Again, there are many different builds for Monarchs which is what makes them good to run nowadays.

@Ay Bee Dee: Not sure how many times I have to say no, hell no before it gets your attention. Dark Gaia IS NOT A GOOD BACKUP PLAN!!! IF YOU WANT TO USE DARK GAIA YOU HAVE TO MAKE A DECK BASED AROUND HIM!!! GRANMARG SUX VERY HORRIBLY AND BRINGS THE DECK DOWN!! NONE OF GRANMARG OR DARK GAIA HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE STRATEGY BEHIND THIS DECK OF SPINNING CARDS AND HAND CONTROL!!! BIG BEATSTICKS ARE FOR OTK DECKS, NOT CONTROL DECKS!!! Now, do I need to shout this out anymore or do you get the picture? Adding in Granmarg and Dark Calling/Dark Fusion is only going to destroy the consistency of the deck and mix strategies with no synergy between themselves leading to a destruction of the focus of the deck.

Nekofjung

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ay Bee Dee on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Umm you dont have to shout ya know its only an idea
Geez dude why get so hyper over a card game? =)

Ay Bee Dee

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post by EJ on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:18 pm

I know why did you choose Dasher over defender,neko but still Defender just needs to stay there for 1 turn and on 2nd you can sacrifice him for your monarch,he's always a good card i throw in def and sacrifice it on 2nd turn...always good against swarm...and dasher is a dead draw alone (yea he needs D-Draw or Grepher)

anyway disagreeing on that point won't affect anything,your article is still great for me and for others
KIU

Spoiler:

DanceJonDance wrote:It won't be hard to get past EJ we just have to get him to stop sacking JD so early and finish him off before he has the chance to get it out

EJ, you are pro

EJ

Evil Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kyosuke kiryu on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Belive it or not.I used 3 defenders and 2 malicious with 3 -draws and those were very dead draws but that was before I changed my deck and now is better

kyosuke kiryu

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 92,195
Reputation Points : 12
Medallions : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by EJ on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:52 pm

i dun advise with 3 defenders,kyo...just 2 with a monger

Spoiler:

EJ, you are pro

EJ

Evil Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top