Duel Academy Log in

Get your game on!

descriptionArabic poems EmptyArabic poems

more_horiz
I'm not sure how many of you are into poems, but one way for me to forget about my pains or my feelings is to distract myself. I find myself feeling a bit of comfort when i read poems that describes my current state.

I study English Translation at college, so I'll be using this topic to translate poems from Arabic into English. Though keep in mind, the act of translating poems from one language to another is the second hardest thing to do after translating religious texts such as the Quran.

Anyhow, here goes the first poem:

Arabic Text:
اليس وعدتني يا قلب اني
اذا ما تبت عن حب ليلى تتوب
فها انا تائب عن حب ليلي
فمالك كلما ذكرت تذوب

Translation:
You promised, Heart, If I,
Forbidden myself from the love of Layla,
so would you,
Here I am, all forbidden from the love of Layla,
Yet you still melt,
When Layla is sighted.

The poem was written by "Qays" (Majnun) to his lover "Layla" whom parents refused to give her to Qays after he had proposed for he was poor. He tried to force himself to forget her and move on, which he couldn't.

I'll be translating poems each now and then.

Arabic poems YhjrjGb
DA Administrator of the year 2012, 2014 l DA Artist of the Year 2012, 2014, 2015 l ~Lead, follow, or get out the way~

descriptionArabic poems EmptyRe: Arabic poems

more_horiz
Ooo, I do enjoy poetry from time to time. I've gotta keep an eye on this.

Noster Duellum Incipiunt
Courage isn't the absence of fear. It's the ability to act in spite of that fear.
Arabic poems Ezekeil_sig
Awards and Achievements :

Duelist Imprisoning Mirror 5 1st Place
Deckmaster Lord 1st Place
DA Tournament of Champions Invitee/Participant through round 4

Supreme King October-November 2013
Pegasus Challenge #2 2nd Place

General Randomness :
I have over 200 original characters and 95% of them are canines. Sue me.
atam7: what does leg mean

more_horiz
Well, whatever I have is going to be short phrases, nothing long. I don't know many poems, I'm just getting into it :D

Arabic poems YhjrjGb
DA Administrator of the year 2012, 2014 l DA Artist of the Year 2012, 2014, 2015 l ~Lead, follow, or get out the way~

more_horiz
wow 5-

more_horiz
what?

Arabic poems YhjrjGb

more_horiz
Speaking About Poems, How does the Translation from English to Arabic, which both have different Phonetics, How would it affect the Rhythm, Supposing, it's an Haiku, or a poem that is supposed to rhyme, i can read the quran, but i cant speak arabic (in the conventional sense) so i dont know if there are word choices in Arabic to compensate for this.

"I know not of what weapons and powers this war will be fought with, but I do know the next war will be fought with Sticks and Stones..." 
- Roy
Arabic poems CerQn2a
Sigs by CrimzonStudios + ParaBox -Sama

Arabic poems Ra_yellow_by_otakucyrus-d4s8szy

☬Project Roy-X by CrimzonStudios..☬

more_horiz
It kills it.
It's nowhere near the same.

Arabic poems Rainbows_by_darkneji12-d7kdsik

more_horiz
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:
Speaking About Poems, How does the Translation from English to Arabic, which both have different Phonetics, How would it affect the Rhythm, Supposing, it's an Haiku, or a poem that is supposed to rhyme, i can read the quran, but i cant speak arabic (in the conventional sense) so i dont know if there are word choices in Arabic to compensate for this.

Pretty much what Neji said.

English and Arabic are way different in structure. Mainly speaking, when translating poems you just make sure you get the meaning right first, and then you start looking around for words that maybe could rhyme if you're lucky. It's easy to have everything fall in order in Arabic and have it rhyme, after all, Arabic is a highly-inflectional language (you can pronounce each word in several different ways to suit your phrase). English is a low-inflectional language, meaning each word can be pronounced in a certain way only.

Once you get the meaning out then you start seeking phrase structure, you would want to use compound-complex sentence structure since everything in Arabic is exaggerated; short sentences/phrases doesn't cut it.

Reading the Quran should be easy since there is only way one way of reading it. But, It's a good start since the Quran is the only form of Arabic that haven't been affected by foreign languages. If you're able to read and understand the Quran without any troubles then that should be good enough for you to be able to speak Arabic as well.

Arabic poems YhjrjGb

more_horiz
@Anzo wrote:
CrimzonSlayeRx wrote:

Pretty much what Neji said.

English and Arabic are way different in structure. Mainly speaking, when translating poems you just make sure you get the meaning right first, and then you start looking around for words that maybe could rhyme if you're lucky. It's easy to have everything fall in order in Arabic and have it rhyme, after all, Arabic is a highly-inflectional language (you can pronounce each word in several different ways to suit your phrase). English is a low-inflectional language, meaning each word can be pronounced in a certain way only.

Once you get the meaning out then you start seeking phrase structure, you would want to use compound-complex sentence structure since everything in Arabic is exaggerated; short sentences/phrases doesn't cut it.

Reading the Quran should be easy since there is only way one way of reading it. But, It's a good start since the Quran is the only form of Arabic that haven't been affected by foreign languages. If you're able to read and understand the Quran without any troubles then that should be good enough for you to be able to speak Arabic as well.

I wonder if I only speak Surahs from the Quran. Would I be able to hold a conversation about Yugioh? 
xP

Arabic poems Rainbows_by_darkneji12-d7kdsik

more_horiz
You mean Faseh? No idea what Surahs is.

But, if you're able to read the Quran then you should be able to speak in the same language. Of course you have the accent but no one cares.

Arabic poems YhjrjGb

more_horiz
pls dont
english ruin these poems
good job anyway !

Arabic poems Request5_zps7f835aee

more_horiz
Arabic has the sexiest text of any language.

Arabic poems ZnPuD9K
My Health Potions:
Arabic poems Latest?cb=20140523211029 x2

more_horiz
@EXtremelyNoOB wrote:
pls dont
english ruin these poems
good job anyway !

xD

Well it's part of my study to try and translate Arabic poems since It's literally impossible to do it, but we're still tasked to do it.

STX wrote:
Arabic has the sexiest text of any language.

Yep, It's hard to learn for non-native Arabic speakers though.

Arabic poems YhjrjGb

more_horiz
i always wanted to get my name in arabic tattooed on my arm.

Arabic poems ZnPuD9K
My Health Potions:

more_horiz
ستاكس

You need to find a really good fella that knows how to write with the Arabic original font though.

Arabic poems YhjrjGb

more_horiz
@Anzo wrote:
ستاكس

You need to find a really good fella that knows how to write with the Arabic original font though.

thats why i havent gotten it yet.

Arabic poems ZnPuD9K
My Health Potions:

more_horiz
You can find someone online and ask him to do it for you, then simply print it and take it to a local tattoo shop and ask him to "draw" it.

Arabic poems YhjrjGb

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum