Memory Palace

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Memory Palace

Post by Anzo on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:23 pm

I've stumbled upon Mind Palace (Memory Palace) while I was reading an article on how to clear your mind from distractions and focus on one goal at a time. It was mentioned in that book that there is certain technique called Memory Palace or "The Method of Loci" (Loci in a Latin word which means 'place' or 'location') where you form a room in your head (or a palace) and put/attach all new memories to it as furniture.

I proceeded and downloaded a book written by former Memory Championship winner Ron White who describes how to create your own Mind Palace. I'm still not done reading it, but it's quite fun. The book is entitled "Sherlok Holmes Mind Palace Secrets Revealed". It's a short version of an upcoming much longer version.

The purpose of this technique is to help you train your brain so that whenever you learn a new information instead of having it stored briefly in your short-term memory (working memory) you get to save it directly into your long-term memory.

This technique is helpful for new language learners, poker players, and programmers in generals since it helps a lot with numbers.

The book talks about Sherlok Homes, an imaginary character who is claimed as the smartest of his kind, having a very unique observation skills and and focus ability that makes him stand out. Of course, Ron compares Memory Palace techniques to what Conan Doyle (the author of Sherlock Homles book) expressed in his book, and the characteristics he gave to Holmes.

It's a very fun reading and it's quite eye-opening I must say. It's no fantasy that we all seek to have perfect memory, and this whole Mind Palace is a real thing it seems. I'd recommend looking up "The Method of Loci" up on Wikipedia for those interested in learning more about this.

For now, anyone around who have heard of this term before or is currently practicing it?

DA Administrator of the year 2012, 2014 l DA Artist of the Year 2012, 2014, 2015 l ~Lead, follow, or get out the way~

Anzo

Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Duel Points : Plenty
Reputation Points : 349
Pro Decklists : 0
I am a Senpai now! Get me out of here Topic for you, and you, and everybody! Hi Mom! Captain Tryhard GG2EZ He was lucky I was not even trying The Worthy! Never back down! I am 12 and what is this? Underdog Rising Give me your money! Community favorite Popular figure Representative Community slacker Business man I got rid of my girlfriend!

http://www.duelacademy.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Memory Palace

Post by Quasar on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:29 pm

What is the book's name?

Quasar

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 22350
Reputation Points : 4
Medallions : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:39 pm

If you read through the full post, you'd see that he said "The book is entitled "Sherlok Holmes Mind Palace Secrets Revealed"

Back to top Go down

Post by Quasar on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:40 pm

lel true, how I didn't see that, I guess I need some sleep, I am too tired :/

Quasar

Obelisk Blue Duelist
Obelisk Blue Duelist

Duel Points : 22350
Reputation Points : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Jv on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:56 pm

Yep the 3-Episodes-for-season Sherlock series does reference to this Mnemonic system.

Jv

Administrator
Administrator

Duel Points : 500,000
Reputation Points : 58
Pro Decklists : 12
Medallions : 13
King Of Games

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezekeil on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:41 pm

I'd be curious to see if this works. I might look into it a bit.

Noster Duellum Incipiunt
Courage isn't the absence of fear. It's the ability to act in spite of that fear.

Awards and Achievements:

Duelist Imprisoning Mirror 5 1st Place
Deckmaster Lord 1st Place
DA Tournament of Champions Invitee/Participant through round 4

Supreme King October-November 2013
Pegasus Challenge #2 2nd Place

General Randomness:
I have over 200 original characters and 95% of them are canines. Sue me.
atam7: what does leg mean

Ezekeil

Ra Yellow Duelist
Ra Yellow Duelist

Duel Points : 46963
Reputation Points : 22
Pro Decklists : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Anzo on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:10 am

@Quasar wrote:lel true, how I didn't see that, I guess I need some sleep, I am too tired :/

You need to train your brain :>

@Jv wrote:Yep the 3-Episodes-for-season Sherlock series does reference to this Mnemonic system.

I don't quite get what you're saying lol

@Ezekeil wrote:I'd be curious to see if this works. I might look into it a bit.

You can get the book from here: https://brainathlete.infusionsoft.com/app/attachment/52070/0/c7b1fc3f740c8ef8cc530d27c5e695ad?inf_contact_key=d4942e857c061c79facbaa6dcaf1765707b7feb3d4127b5f14aeb04a348ece97

DA Administrator of the year 2012, 2014 l DA Artist of the Year 2012, 2014, 2015 l ~Lead, follow, or get out the way~

Anzo

Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I am a Senpai now! Get me out of here Topic for you, and you, and everybody! Hi Mom! Captain Tryhard GG2EZ He was lucky I was not even trying The Worthy! Never back down! I am 12 and what is this? Underdog Rising Give me your money! Community favorite Popular figure Representative Community slacker Business man I got rid of my girlfriend!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jv on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:06 pm

well the Sherlock Holmes USA Series, do reference to this Method bamz.

Jv

Administrator
Administrator

King Of Games

Back to top Go down

Post by Anzo on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:20 pm

A lot of TV series use this as reference: a rough investigator with superb techniques, weird at the same time, solve his crimes using methods no one else does. The Mentalist, Psych, Holmes. Many TV series uses this character, they just give it different names.

Anzo

Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jv on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:17 pm

yes it seems so.

Jv

Administrator
Administrator

King Of Games

Back to top Go down

Post by Anzo on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Finally had the time to finish reading the book.

I'd like to correct a statement in my OP: Obviously, this technique doesn't help much with learning a new language. It works better with numbers, lists and new faces. It helps you remember EVERYTHING you come across but It takes a good few seconds to retrieve any information. It won't be helpful in conversations since you can't retrieve the target information instantaneously.

I mainly started reading about Memory Palace because I was aiming at using it to expand my vocabulary and possibly pick up a new language. The technique is still pretty effective and from what I've experienced it works, like, it's pretty real. I've played around with it, and at the moment, I'm able to remember anything that consists of 45 digits, or place. I can remember any random 45 number or name just by reading them. It takes a little practice and a bit of creative imagination and commitment, that's why I won't invest much time into it - however, It's kind of fun to be honest.

I'd recommend you folks read the book I linked in this topic, It might be of a good use to you.

Anzo

Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top